Thursday, May 26, 2011

blueberry banana bread

I love love love a yummy loaf of banana bread. Last week they had blueberries on sale at the local grocery store so I grabbed several packs, threw them into the cart and was on my way. Once I got home, I realized I wasn't sure what I was going to do with all of them. Then the light bulb came on in my head and I decided why not add some blueberries to a loaf of banana bread?  Let me tell you, I was not disappointed. The two flavours compliment each other and the blueberries add a special kick for the summer. This is a great recipe to serve if you are having guests over for coffee/tea.

Ingredients
  • 4 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/3 cup of melted butter
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries (you can use frozen if you don't have any fresh on hand)
  • 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
Preparation
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 Celsius)
  • In a large bowl, mash bananas.
  • In separate bowl, beat your egg. Once egg is beaten, add vanilla and sugar to the bowl. Stir until they are mixed together.
  • Sprinkle baking soda and salt over the egg mixture. Stir until they are well combined.
  • Add liquid mixture to mashed bananas. Stir well. Then add flour to mixture, mix well.
  • Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan.
  • Optional - you can add chopped nuts on top.
  • Bake for 1 hour (usually check at 45 minutes, it all depends on your oven)
  • Allow loaf to cool, remove from pan.
  • Serve with fresh fruit, coffee/tea, or it is great just by itself.
All you need are these yummy fruits and you are all set.
Mixture just before going into the oven. Remember to butter your loaf pan.
The final product. I love love love my blueberry banana bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment