Wednesday, December 7, 2011

no bake haystacks

Little Miss L. loves helping out in the kitchen. I love watching her face as her daddy walks in the door after work and she is all giddy as she tells him all about what she said made that day. As most of you know, it is hard to find a recipe that captures a two year old's interest, does not take too long to make (as we all know their attention span is quite short at this age), and does not require too many utensils and bowls etc. One recipe that I always turn to, is a no-bake haystack recipe. It is fast, easy, and Little Miss L. loves getting her hands all gooey. Give it a try, I promise you won't be disappointed.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup of cocoa powder (I love cocoa so I use lots but 1/3 cup is enough)
  • 3 cups quick cooking oatmeal
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
  • 1/3 cup Flax seed
  • 1/3 cup Hemp hearts
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
Preparations
  • In a large saucepan, combine sugar, milk, butter, and cocoa powder; bring to a boil.
  • Remove from heat and stir in remaining ingredients.
  • Drop from a teaspoon or I like to use my hands to place onto waxed paper.
  • Hint - work quickly as mixture hardens fast.
  • Place in refrigerator. 
Someone loves to lick the spoon.
The finished product. In the preparation, I suggested to place on waxed paper, well if you are like me and ran out, just lightly spray on some non-stick cooking spray to your cookie sheet.
Yum, I love tasting my creations.
I will lick every last bit off of my hand.
My little helper.
Time to dig into the final product.
I asked Little Miss L. how they tasted and this was her reaction. She rubbed her belly and told me it was yummy in her tummy.
Little Miss L. loves haystacks as her afternoon snack.
They are finger-lickin' good

No comments:

Post a Comment