Friday, November 25, 2011

time to pull out the sensory bin!

I woke up this morning to a dreary day. As the day began, I was trying to decide what to do with the little ones. I quickly learned that I did not have the energy to get the children all bundled up and head outside. Instead, I pulled out the good ol' sensory bin to keep Little Miss L. occupied. What is a sensory bin you might ask? A sensory bin is exactly that: a bin which contains items that require you to use your senses. Today we went with uncooked pasta noodles, spoons, containers, bowls, and a few figurines. Little Miss L. will usually spend countless hours filling and pouring out the noodles. If you find yourself in a rut and need an idea to keep the kids busy, pull out a bin and fill it with whatever you have around the house: rice, water, sand, noodles, flour, kidney beans, buttons, marbles - the possibilities are endless.

What are you putting in your bin these days? I am always looking for new ideas for our bin - I love love love watching a child's imagination run wild.

Note: Please be aware that small items can be choking hazards for young children. Always remember to use age-appropriate items in your bin.
Great way for children to experience different textures.
Helps children with their hand-eye coordination.. 
Look Momma, a noodle!

No comments:

Post a Comment