Wednesday, November 9, 2011

guest post with mezaun hodge - a motivational story


Hi everyone, first of all I want to say that I am very honoured to be a guest blogger. Well my name is Mezaun Hodge and I am a mother of an amazing 11 year old named Zak (Zakariyah) and the wife to my soul mate Josh. I work full time as a Case Manager in the Social Service field and I have just started my own fitness business which keeps me very busy. A little about me is that I was married before in a not so great relationship and had a lot of issues to deal with. It was after that break up that I realized I wanted something more and that I knew I had to be strong for myself and my son physically and mentally. Too make a long story short I wanted to try new things and experience new things, there were no reason why I couldn’t except for myself holding me back. So I tried numerous activities things that I was told I couldn’t do before because I wasn’t committed or I didn’t have it in me. So I always wanted to learn to rock climb so I took an outdoor climbing course, I wanted to try four wheeling, so I signed up for four wheeling and I always wanted to travel and experience different cultures and help out so I talked one of my best friends into doing a volunteer placement in Peru. So we spent almost 3 weeks in Peru, a very rewarding and humbling experience.

Then a couple of years later I was very lucky to meet my husband who is very supportive in everything I do and knowing that he is in my corner means the world to me. The thing was, is that I wasn’t in good shape fitness wise. We would go on a hike and I would be trailing behind trying to catch my breath which was so embarrassing when a little dog and an 8 yr old is way ahead of you telling you to hurry up. I decided if I wanted to keep up I better get working on it. I turned 40 this year and I did not want to be watching life on the sidelines! So with the help of my husband and son we began working out, we joined the YMCA and we did more hikes and climbs. Approaching 40 was hard because I saw it as getting older which means I won’t be able to do certain things. SO I promised myself when I turned 40 I wanted to be in the best shape of my life. I’ve been attending workshops, classes, information sessions etc to learn more. At age 39 I got my Personal Training Certificate and presently working on my Nutrition & Wellness certificate. I may not be a size 2 or 4 or a 118 or even 120 lbs.…but I am in the best shape of my life. Fitness is not measured by you’re weight or your clothing size. It’s measured by your energy level, you’re outlook on life, and being excited to try something new or old. Often women feel they don’t have time for fitness. But you need to make the time for yourself and to better help your family. If you are sick with no energy how can you help your family? If you were told you could decrease the chances of osteoporosis, diabetes and heart disease with just 20 mins a day 3 to 4 times a week wouldn’t you do it? This may mean waking up before the rest of the family to get that workout in. In 20 mins you can do a full body workout. I know a lot of women are afraid to join a gym, you don’t have to. Just exercise at home to a DVD or go for a run. Within one to two weeks you will notice a difference. I know for me now if I have a headache and I exercise, it disappears. I know it’s hard to get started but once you do it gets easy and becomes second nature. Time is huge factor. If you have kids, involve them, go for a hike, play soccer with them. Or when there at their sporting activity do your activity then. Rearrange schedules to get that time in, have older children help with chores etc. In a world with increasing obesity, and processed food it’s more important now to take care of ourselves. As women we tend to put ourselves last. We need to stop doing this.

My new business is called Amazon Fit. I offer classes that come with coaching sessions to empower women. Often times we go to an exercise class and were motivated during that time, but when we leave then what. With Amazon Fit I also offer optional outings such as hiking. Sometimes we don’t know what activities we like or what is out there, so with Amazon Fit I have guest instructors come in and teach various types of classes. The purpose is to introduce women to fitness and to give women the tools to lead a more active lifestyle. The best thing is that you’re doing this with other women who want to learn as well. For more information go to www.amazonfit.com or if you have any questions on how to get fit or any nutritional questions please email me at meazun@amazonfit.com.

I’ve learned that what we do in this decade affects what we do in the next decade. I don’t want to be that lady who is on meds and living in a nursing home. I want to be that lady who is hiking mountains with her grandkids, who if living in a retirement home wins the limbo contests or is the one who stands on her chair to yell BINGO when she wins!   

1 comment:

  1. Great story, very motivating. You are absolutly correct, its tought to get started but very rewarding and fun once you have! Good luck with your goals.

    ReplyDelete