Wednesday, January 12, 2011

all natural?

Have you ever stopped to take a look at the ingredient list on the back of your deodorant or antiperspirant? Do you happen to see words such as Parabens, Triclosan, or Propylene glycol? Most people think that antiperspirants and deodorants are the same thing, but they aren’t. Antiperspirants work by clogging, closing, or blocking the pores with powerful astringents such as aluminum salts so that they can’t release sweat. Where as, deodorants work by neutralizing the smell of the sweat by antiseptic action against bacteria. Deodorants are preferable because they don’t interfere with sweating, a natural cooling process. I believe that even the smallest changes can have big benefits for our future health. As one of my New Year's resolutions, I decided to switch over from the antiperspirant I was using to an all-natural alternative. The hubby and I agreed that if we can't pronounce the ingredients on the back, than we should not be buying it. We purchased two different types from our local health food store. The hubby uses the crystal rock, and I am trying out a natural spray deodorant. The pros are that they are made with all natural ingredients, unscented, hypoallergenic, aluminum chlorohydrate free, paraben free, alcohol-free, non-sticky, non-staining, and they do not leave residue behind. As for the cons, the only complaint regarding the crystal rock is that you must have a source of water around to apply the deodorant before applying to your skin.  As and for the spray deodorant, I find it is not really fast drying.

Once we are through with our deodorant, I would like to make our own homemade version and I will let you know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment