Thursday, March 8, 2012

i don't want to say the h-word again!

This past week my happy bubble was popped. The past week has consisted of doctor visits, crying children, hospitals, and a lot of sleepless nights. For the last month and a half, Little Miss L. has had a constant cough that would not go away. We had been to the doctor several times and were told she just had a virus and it would pass. Last Wednesday, Little Miss L. came down with a high fever, the following day we took her to see her pediatrician who told us she had yet again picked up another virus. The high fever continued through the weekend and into Monday. This momma was in panic mode but tried to remember the doctors told us not to panic until she had a fever for more than 6-7 days. Tuesday morning arrived and momma bear mode kicked in. Little Miss L. had not left the couch in days, didn't have an appetite, a red spot appeared on her face, she was 6 days into the fever and her cough was severe. Tuesday morning we packed our bags and headed to the emergency.

It was a long wait to see the doctor and within a hour of being at the hospital, Little Miss L.'s body had broken out in a rash. Her face was covered and she began to itch non-stop. After a eight hour stay at the hospital we were informed Little Miss L. had pneumonia and suffering from Erythema Multiforme. Little Miss L. was given antibiotics and we were on our way home. The hubby and I were hopeful that our little girl would now be on the mend.
The rash started as one spot and turned into this within two hours.
Wednesday morning came and Little Miss L. woke up screaming at the top of her lungs. She was screaming because her face was so swollen she could not even open her eyes. My heart broke as soon as I saw my baby girl. I didn't even recognize her, that wasn't my happy go-lucky girl. This was a child in great pain, someone who was scared, someone who was looking at mommy and daddy to fix the problem. It is the worst feeling in the world knowing you can not doing anything to help make them better. I just wished I had a magic wand I could wave over my precious girl to make all this go away. We packed our bags again and back to emergency we went. We did not know if she was having a allergic reaction to the medication or if it was symptoms of the pneumonia - we didn't care - our girl needed help. After four hours spent in emergency they confirmed she was not having an allergic reaction but it was a symptom of the pneumonia. The rest of the day, Little Miss L. slept.
My poor girl woke up like this.
Back to the hospital we went.
My heart hurts looking at my sick little girl.
No one wants to see a child in pain. 
Later in the evening the swelling had gone down a little.
Today, the swelling has gone down a tad but the rash has now spread to her stomach and legs. We are off to see the pediatrician again this afternoon. We are hoping our baby girl will be on the mend soon.
The rash has now taken over her lower body.
As for Baby D, he also started a high fever last Friday and it continued on until Monday. We also, took Baby D to emergency where they told us he was fighting off an infection. Baby D has not improved since last Friday, we are hoping today Baby D will be given something to help him fight off this thing. The poor boy has not slept in days, and coughed so much he has lost his voice.
Baby D waiting to see the doctor.
Well, folks this is why I have been MIA for the last several days and I apologize if I haven't responded back to mails and messages but I promise to get at them very soon. Thank you to everyone for their get well wishes and support. Thank to our parents for helping us out, we wouldn't have been able to make it through the past week without you.

Anyone out there dealing with the same symptoms? Any advice would help! Pin It


  1. Oh no, poor Lily and all of you! Hope it's all better soon.

  2. Seeing this beautiful little girl in so much pain, breaks my heart!
    Sending you, Jeff and the babies much love! Wishing for all of you a speedy recovery!

  3. Oh my goodness, what a sweetheart. It would break my heart too seeing her hurting and not being able to help. I'm glad you figured it out and she's on the mend!

  4. Holy smokes I read a bit on your fb and commented there but these pictures of her swollen lil face is soooo brutal!!! Poor lil L! Poor parents too! Our toddler now after days of complaining has ended up with Strep throat ugh it's brutal to see them so sick wishing you all a quick recovery for the kiddos

  5. Hi, I read your blog but haven't commented before. I was just wondering if the doctors mentioned this could be roseola? Or at least part roseola, maybe added to pneumonia? My daughter had roseola at age 1 1/2. It was pretty scary. She had a fever for almost a week, then it got so high she had a febrile seizure. We didn't know what the heck was happening and brought her to the doctor. They gave her Tylenol and said she had a virus . Roseola is a virus. They didn't mention the possibility though. A couple days later the fever finally broke and she got the rash. First on the face and then it spread. It lasted a few days and then went away. Google roseola and see if you think she may have it. If she does, the baby probably does too. Luckily it's not super serious, but with the pneumonia complication, your poordaughter! I hope you all feel better soon

  6. Thank you everyone for your get well wishes and concerns! I am happy to report Little Miss L. is feeling a lot better. Her fever finally broke after 8 days. The swelling lasted for 3 days and the rash for 6 days. Luckily both symptoms have now gone away. We were told the rash was caused by the virus which caused the pneumonia. Luckily, the medication seems to be working and my happy-go-lucky girl should be back soon.

    As for Baby D, he was diagnosed with Croup. He started medication on Thursday and is doing a lot better as well.

    Thank you again for all of your advice and wishes!

  7. Im so happy to hear that they are getting better! My heart was breaking for them with those pictures :( Babies should not be allowed to get sick!

  8. So glad everyone is feeling better. Those pictures are so heartbreaking. My son was rushed to CHEO by ambulance when he was 2, and it was the worst experience of my life. Everything ended up being just fine, thank goodness, but I never want to go through that again.

  9. I agree ladies...children should not allowed to be sick! It totally pulls at your heart strings, especially when you can't make it better for them.