Monday, November 22, 2010

it's time to start baking!

We all know what time it is! We're just starting to get ready for the holidays in our house. The cards have been purchased, the shopping has begun, and the holiday baking rush is now upon us. As I walked into the grocery store the other day, I noticed a huge bin of lemons on sale. As soon as I saw them, my mouth started to water. You might be saying to yourself, 'that's odd, lemons really do that to you?' This is because it reminded me of how every year for the holidays my mother bakes her famous lemon squares. So, I filled my cart full of lemons and rushed over to my mother's house in hopes that she would pull out that old famous recipe. I was in luck that day because not only did she pull out the recipe, she decided to show me step-by-step how to make them. I can't wait to share it with you!

Lemon Squares
 
This recipe has been around awhile!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup icing sugar
  • 1 cup butter (softened)
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup coconut
Preparation:
Start by mixing the icing sugar and the 2 cups of flour together. Cream butter into flour and sugar until mixture clings together. Pack firmly into a lightly buttered 9" x 13" glass pan. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mix dry ingredients
Prepare crust
Bake crust before adding liquid
Beat the four eggs, then add remaining ingredients. Pour this mixture on top of baked crust. Bake in 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for about 30 minutes until set. Coconut will rise to the top and become brown. I check mine after 25 minutes because they are usually done by then (depends on the oven).
Mix wet ingredients
Pour onto baked crust
And there you have it, these are great for the holidays because you can bake them a head of time and then freeze them in an air tight container until you need them. Enjoy!
The finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment