Saturday, November 27, 2010

it's all about the small things

I love my mother for many reasons but it is the small things she does that I admire the most. When we are in the midst of the storm we call life, with the thunder booming and the wind blowing, it is easy to forget about the small things. I admire my mother because she chooses not to allow the noisiness of life to rob her of the time and energy to be mindful of herself and those she loves. She always seems to be able to recognize the beauty that exists in the small things.
The other night was a prime example of how the small things are never forgotten. As my family and I arrived for dinner, we were not asked to join my parents at the kitchen table. Instead we walked into the dining room, to see a beautifully set table. As I looked around the room, I noticed all the details that were carefully thought out. The plates had not just been thrown on the table, they were carefully placed, the cutlery had been placed perfectly on matching napkins, and the blue candles placed in the centerpiece matched the flowers on the plates. Some people might think, really, who cares but to me I see someone who puts her best effort into every situation no matter how small it may be. I have learned many things from my mother, such as making time for what is important while each day passes by so quickly.  I've also learned that you don't need to spend money or schedule an elaborate event to enjoy yourself; you don't need a special occasion to pull out your fine china, because everyday is special! 

No comments:

Post a Comment